On Tuesday, March 15th, 2022 Alex Ovechkin scored the 767th plot of his famed NHL profession in checklist to circulate Jaromir Jagr and circulate into 3rd for the checklist of most NHL dreams. He used to be accurate now swarmed by his Washington Capitals teammates as the followers at the sport cheered proudly for Ovechkin.
Chants of “Ovi! Ovi!” rang out thru the sector that has been his dwelling stadium for shut to 2 – decades, and they also also erupted following the Washington Capitals 4 to a pair of purchase vs. the Unusual York Islanders in a breath – taking 8 – round intense shoot – out.
“I contain everyone wants me to receive that plot,” Ovechkin expressed. “All americans fervent with this milestone. I’d dispute I’m very jubilant and grateful to be on this crew for this kind of very lengthy time, especially with these guys.”
Ovechkin’s most modern plot on Tuesday night locations him in support of perfect the remaining hockey legends in Wayne Gretzkyin addition to to Gordie Howie. Alex’s wife and children had been unfortunately stuck support dwelling in Russia, and it’s a shame that his rapid family did no longer catch to see the biggest particular person accomplishment of his profession.
“It’s been tough, nonetheless we’re athletes and we accurate must achieve our job and focal point in on the problem what we’re doing perfect,” says Ovechkin. “We accurate play hockey and catch pleasure from our moment.”
Ovechkin’s mammoth and memorable moment came with accurate 4 – minutes and 58 – seconds remaining in the threerd – duration of the contest when Alex’s fellow countryman, Evgeny Kuznetsov, won a faceoff in checklist to position the puck on the tape of his good buddy’s stick. Ovechkin beat one more one in all his good mates in Islanders goaltender, Semyon Varlamov, to in the slay rupture the unique tie with Jaromir Jagr.
The 36 – year – veteran left winger at the birth from Moscow, Russia has no longer had to contend with any backlash from followers on his dwelling ice, even since Vladimir Putin and Russia invaded Ukraine a pair of weeks ago. Ovechkin has been booed at instances at some stage in a time out across western Canada. Alex bought a standing ovation from the Washington Capitals’ followers who private cheered for him, and chanted his title all at some stage in his lengthy and amazing 17 – year profession taking half in ice hockey in North The US.
“Obviously, it sucks when my kids didn’t survey it, my wife didn’t survey it, my folks, nonetheless they’re staring at at dwelling,” Ovechkin stated. “They’re jubilant, and that’s the largest yell.”
The next doubtless foremost and mammoth milestone for Ovechkin is scoring plot quantity 800 a milestone that perfect Gretzky and Howe private reached in the lengthy – standing history of the Nationwide Hockey League. Ovechkin wants 35 more plot scores to circulate Howe, and Alex would want 128 more dreams to interrupt Gretzky’s document of 894 NHL profession dreams that many americans belief to be an unbreakable ice hockey document.
“You by no diagram know what’s going to happen in the longer term,” Ovechkin goes on to claim. “You by no diagram know what’s going to happen the following day. I’m jubilant I did it and we did it as a crew. Now it’s accurate a duration of time, and if I’m in a position to attain it, I’ll.”
Ovechkin scored this mammoth – time foremost plot in the shadow of the Washington Capitals’ 2018 Stanley Cup championship banner as Barry Trotz stood on the visiting bench. Trotz used to be the pinnacle coach of the Washington Capitals after they won their first Stanley Cup title in franchise history, and Ovechkin used to be named the playoff MVP when it used to be all acknowledged and accomplished.
“The one yell that I’ve learned about Ovi over my time is that if you doubt Ovi or you dispute he can’t achieve it, he digs in,” Trotz explained. “He accurate digs in and is relate on that. And I contain over time he’s learned to prepare perchance a minute bit varied. It’s slightly amazing.”
Ovechkin is perfect 3 – dreams faraway from reaching 40 for this fresh NHL season for the 12th – time in his famed NHL profession. That will presumably perhaps perhaps tie “The Mountainous One” (Wayne Gretzky) for the most 40 – plot seasons in the history of the Nationwide Hockey League.
“For now, he accurate buddy, teammate,” says Kuznetsov. “He’s so shut to us, and we by no diagram even discuss (how he has) performed all these milestones. I’m slightly sure one day when I’m going to retire, I’m hoping he’s going to be peaceable mates with me, we’re going to sit down down down someplace and deem and have in mind a pair of of these milestones.”
In a pre – recorded congratulatory video message, Jaromir Jagr jokingly let Ovechkin know that he better shield scoring dreams on yarn of he hasn’t yet hung up his skates, and must peaceable near support to the NHL to dawdle Ovechkin’s place.
“Defend scoring, on yarn of, as you realize, I didn’t retire from hockey yet and there’s a possibility I’d near support to the NHL and open chasing you,” Jaromir Jagr, who’s peaceable taking half in at age 50 for the crew he owns in the Czech Republic, talked about.
Ovechkin realized that Jagr would had been further up the checklist if no longer for a 3 – year escape in the Russia – based KHL. Though Ovechkin has also had to omit ice time in the NHL this capacity that of 2 – lockouts in addition to to the COVID – 19 pandemic which emphasizes Alex’s plot – scoring accomplishment mighty more spectacular and revered.
Ovechkin is at the moment below contract unless age of 40 – years – veteran, and at his fresh stagger this season he would must reasonable accurate 29 – dreams over the path of the upcoming 4 – years in checklist to circulate Gretzky earlier than Alex’s fresh contract expires, and who knows he can also almost a pair of resolution to play further than that on a unique contract as he chases one in all perchance the most elusive NHL records of all time.
Checklist for the Most Occupation NHL Targets
Scandalous Player Years G
- Wayne Gretzky*1979-99 894
- Gordie Howe1946-80 801
- Alex Ovechkin 2005-22 767
- Jaromír Jágr 1990-18 766
- Brett Hull1986-06 741
- Marcel Dionne*1971-89 731
- Phil Esposito1963-81 717
- Mike Gartner1979-98 708
- Mark Messier*1979-04 694
- Steve Yzerman*1983-06 692
- Mario Lemieux*1984-06 690
- Teemu Selänne*1992-14 684
- Luc Robitaille*1986-06 668
- Brendan Shanahan*1987-09 656
- Dave Andreychuk*1982-06 640
- Jarome Iginla1996-17 625
Joe Sakic1988-09 625
- Bobby Hull1957-80 610
- Dino Ciccarelli*1980-99 608
- Jari Kurri1980-98 601
- Mark Recchi1988-11 577
- Mike Bossy1977-87 573
- Patrick Marleau1997-21 566
- Joe Nieuwendyk*1986-07 564
Mats Sundin1990-09 564
- Mike Modano*1989-11 561
- Guy Lafleur1971-91 560
- John Bucyk1955-78 556
- Ron Francis1981-04 549
- Michel Goulet*1979-94 548
- Maurice Richard*1942-60 544
- Stan Mikita1958-80 541
- Keith Tkachuk 1991-10 538
- Frank Mahovlich*1956-74 533
- Marián Hossa*1997-17 525
- Bryan Trottier*1975-94 524
- Pat Verbeek 1982-02 522
- Dale Hawerchuk*1981-97 518
- Pierre Turgeon1987-07 515
- Jeremy Roenick1988-09 513
- Asteriskmarks members of the Hockey Hall of Popularity.
Alex Ovechkin’s Hockey Occupation Achievements, Honors, & Awards
- Calder Memorial Trophy (2006)
- NHL All – Rookie Group (2006)
- NHL First All – Star Group (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2015, 2019)
- EA Sports activities NHL Duvet Athlete (2007, 2021)
- NHL All – Star Game (2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2022)
- NHL All – Star Game Wide Abilities Competition Breakaway Self-discipline Winner (2008, 2009, 2011)
- Artwork Ross Trophy (2008)
- Maurice “Rocket” Richard Trophy (2008, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020)
- Hart Memorial Trophy (2008, 2009, 2013)
- Lester B. Pearson Award / Ted Lindsay Award (2008, 2009, 2010)
- NHL 2K Duvet Athlete (2010)
- NHL 2d All – Star Group (2011, 2013, 2014, 2016)
- NHL All – Star Game Wide Abilities Competition Hardest Shot Winner (2018)
- Stanley Cup Champion (2018)
- Conn Smythe Trophy (2018)
- Russian Wide League Champion (2005)
- Gagarin Cup Champion (2013)
- World Junior Championships Gold Medal (2003)
- World Junior Championships All – Star Group (2005)
- Frosty climate Olympics All – Star Group (2006)
- World Championships All – Star Group (2006, 2008)
- Kharlamov Trophy (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2018)
- World Championships Gold Medal (2008, 2012, 2014)
- Wayne Gretzky Global Award (2019)
Whyno, Stephen. “Ovechkin now 3rd on NHL dreams checklist, Caps beat Isles in SO”. The Associated Press. March 16, 2022.
Hockey Reference Files Services and products. “NHL & WHA Occupation Leaders and Files for Targets”. Hockey Reference. March 16, 2022.
Hockey Reference Files Services and products. “Alex Ovechkin”. Hockey Reference. March 16, 2022.